To measure progress in meeting the Europe 2020 goals, 5 headline targets have been agreed for the whole EU.
This limited set of EU-level targets is translated into national targets in each EU country, reflecting different situations and circumstances.
The 5 targets for the EU in 2020
- 1. Employment
- 75% of the 20-64 year-olds to be employed
- 2. R&D
- 3% of the EU’s GDP to be invested in R&D
- 3. Climate change / energy
- greenhouse gas emissions 20% (or even 30%, if the conditions are right)lower than 1990
- 20% of energy from renewables
- 20% increase in energy efficiency
- 4. Education
- Reducing school drop-out rates below 10%
- at least 40% of 30-34–year-olds completing third level education
- 5. Poverty / social exclusion
- at least 20 million fewer people in or at risk of poverty and social exclusion